Monday, March 01, 2010

Been awhile...

I guess it has been awhile since my last post, but I think that the few of you reading this have survived without my anecdotal notes just fine ;)

So, the latest news around here is that I am with child, preggo, knocked up...you get the point, right? I am currently 15 weeks pregnant and wondering when this morning, noon and night sickness will end? And the fatigue, wow, it really kills me! If I could nap under my desk, I would do it. Unfortunately my cubicle is fairly open to passersby, so I couldn't get away with that...if only I had a real office....

As for announcing my pregnancy, that was definitely more complicated than I anticipated. It really is a timing thing, and we wanted to wait until we heard the heartbeat to share the news (I got to hear the heartbeat at 11 weeks, so surreal!). Even now, I am a bit leary about it all, wondering if it is really true and if I actually am going to be a mom this August. A bit twilight zone-ish for me!

We decided that our family should know first, and duly informed the sisters (both sides) before we laid the big announcement on the parents. We invited them over for dessert, and presented them with the following cake:

Many hugs and a few tears ensued......then began the rounds of calling grandparents and other family, with the strict warning of "don't post anything on Facebook!!".

Now I see my life on a timer, with less than 6 months to wrap up work, prep the baby room, organize the house, save some money and try to figure out what to do with a newborn...oh, and that whole birthing thing? Let's just say that I am fully expecting to pass out - did I mention my intense phobia of needles? That I faint at the sight of blood? That the smell of a hospital makes me nauseous? That my tolerance for pain is zero? Yeah, all of that plus pushing a BABY out of....well, you get the picture.

Right now I am enjoying the shopping for cute maternity clothes and dreaming of the nursery set up.....why face the pain while I can embrace the fun, right??

5 comments:

susan said...

I totally get the tiredness thing!! It's crazy how a baby the size of a grain of rice can exhaust you as much as it can! (okay, it's probably bigger now but you know what I mean right?)

Don't worry about the labour thing - was a little freaked out about it too. Don't look at the epidural needle, that's all I can say!!
Think of the fun stuff not the blood & gore. :-)

We are so excited for you & Brian!

Krista Pauls said...

YAHOO! You and Brian have now left us remaining "young marrieds" in the dust and are moving on to family life! We're excited for you, thrilled for you, shocked and awed - can't wait to meet the newest two Fleggs (okay, one's a Santos, but whatever)

Love Krista

Karin said...

I know I already told you this, but I am so happy and excited for you and Brian. You are both going to make great parents! And I love that you now have a "Baby" label on your blog. So exciting! ♥

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOO happy for you!!!!!!

Canadian Kristin said...

Congratulations!!!!!!
Don't fret about the delivery, you can do it! Savour these pregnant moments and have fun shopping between bouts of nausea!!!