Sunday, November 18, 2007

Life on a rollercoaster (or life is a rollercoaster)

Highs and lows have been a big part of my life lately and I think I am learning things about myself that are not attractive. I realize that true character is often revealed in stressful situations where you lose your luggage, can't find your keys, are late for an appointment, screw up at work or some other combination of stress, bad choices and possibly hormones. This week (Sunday to Sunday) has been a bit crazy; in addition to my regular commitments, we have been househunting with our in-laws - which is not easy to do. Not that searching with them is difficult, but finding a house the 4 adults all like and are happy to live in is quite the task!

The story begins where we see 10 houses on one Sunday afternoon...out of the 10 we fall in love with one (house #9 on our list to see). We come back on Monday to see it a 2nd time and create an offer with our realtor. Our realtor presents the offer on Tuesday at 5:30 pm, along with 2 other realtors who just "happen" to show up and present offers on the same evening. Our offer is rejected. I cry, get angry and just feel like crap. Grrreeeaattt character traits all coming out. On Thursday our realtor calls and says the offer on the house fell through - we have another chance to put in our own offer. The realtor presents the offer at 7:00 pm, by 7:40 pm we have an accepted offer subject to financing and inspection. I take on the "find financing" task and Bri works on the inspection scheduling. Saturday afternoon we all meet with the banker and fill out the mortgage application forms. By Tuesday evening, both subjects should be removed, in advance of our subject removal date of Nov 22nd. If all goes well, we close the sale Dec 3rd and get possession Dec 4th.

Sooooo, I am somewhat excited and somewhat hesitant of all that is happening. I am excited to get this house, if all goes through, but I am also scared of this large of an investment and the higher mortgage payments that we are taking on. I love thelocation but I also recognize that I will have a shorter work commute and a longer commute to any of our friends/family (other than my in-laws who will be one floor away). I must say, I was totally discouraged on Tuesday/Wednesday and I was truly angry - how could 3 offers come at one time? How could ours be rejected? I think I have a lot to learn in the perserverance department and I dread the events I must go through to obtain it.

All in all, I do believe that God has a plan for us and where we should be. I am doing my best to trust Him and leave the future in His hands. This is something that I continue to struggle with, as I know that I am not one of those people who is joyful always, I admire those who are and I pray that I might learn from them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Lys. You are wise to realize that the benefits that come through persevering in trust far outweight the costs. After all this, now we know you have a great home that you live in and love!! Don't worry - your friends are willing to come the distance to see you :)