Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Do you see what I see??

So I was working away this morning, working at the institution instead of at my usual office environment, when I looked outside and saw a....well....somewhat distrurbing sight. My window faces the Aboriginal Cultural area of the institution (i.e. where the sweatlodge and/or teepee is) and in the corner of the yard, closest to my window, was a construction worker. This was not an unusual sight, as many workers are in the institution helping out with various construction projects that are on the go. What was unusual was that this guy went straight to the corner, undid his pants and STARTED PEEING IN THE YARD!!! No, this was not an inmate - it was a contractor!! I was so shocked I leaped out of my desk and said to everyone else in the office area (there were 3 of us) "There is a man PEEING OUT THERE!!". They looked, were somewhat concerned, but then basically went back to what they were doing. My boss laughed and then said "why are you looking, aren't you married??" (isn't he hilarious? so NOT funny). So I didn't know what to do, and kept on working.

Not too much time passed and I saw a 2nd guy use the corner.....and then a 3rd. Thinking this was a little out of control, I asked my boss to let the Warden's office know what was going on, as I really didn't think it was appropriate for construction workers to be peeing outside when there are perfectly good bathrooms throughout the institution.

A couple hours later I get a call from the Assistant Warden asking me what time this incident occured, if I could ID the guys (NO, I was trying NOT to look at them!) and for any additional info. My boss laughed and laughed....then the emails came out from the AW, indicating that it was not acceptable for contractors to be urinating on the Aboriginal Spiritual grounds and that our Native Elder might need to be involved now....so a further email is sent to the contruction company and then they reply saying that this type of unprofessionabl behaviour is not appropriate and that the involved parties will be appropriately reprimanded! Yikes! It was like a snowball rolling down hill...

All because I saw some guy peeing and decided to express my opinion that it was not appropriate.....just another day in the life of a Finance person working in an institution I suppose.....

2 comments:

susan said...

That is gross! And not one or two, but THREE guys...it's some crazy communal pee place, how insane! Men! You don't find us ladies doing that! :-)
I think your boss is NOT funny & reporting it all was the best thing. It has probably been going on for some time and seriously, it is gross and needs to stop! Good on ya Lys!

Anonymous said...

Wow! And, I thought my office place was dramatic...that's a little much...