While I don't normally quote scripture on my blog, I did come across a couple of verses that I thought were really worth the time to think about and also to share. And with it being Sunday I thought it would be an appropriate day to do so.
At our church our pastor encourages us to read the bible and the practice "soap". This may sound like he is giving us a hint to shower before we come, it is not the case. Soap is an acronym for Scripture Observation Application and Prayer. It is really a simple way to look at reading the bible and actually applying it to your life.
So all that to say I was using "soap" today and the passage was in Ecclesiastes. Now I must say that I found this book a bit depressing, as the word meaningless is used many many times, but after reading nearly all of it I have found wisdom in its words. Here is the passage that really got me today:
"Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat, drink and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life. And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life - this is indeed a gift from God. God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past" Ecclesiastes 5:18-20
My hope is to learn how to truly accept my lot in life, to eat, drink and enjoy my work, to be so busy ENJOYING life that I take NO time to brood over the past.
2 comments:
Very cool. The "soap" thing is something I use everyday in my case notes at work: Subjective, Observations, Assessment and Plan. Thanks for sharing another great way to apply this acronymn :)
Thanks also for letting us into your world and encouraging me with this scripture!
Good verses Lys. What translation do you read?
Post a Comment