Sunday, June 30, 2013

Wowsers

Can you believe tomorrow is July? I bet you can, you probably know what happened to the month of June...I'm not so sure. June kind of sped by, probably due to the fact that I spent 2 weeks in Kamloops doing Biology labs. Alas, I have some pics and stories to share from that time, but tonight it is 11:10 pm and I just wanted to get a few things out there.

First things first, it is a very special little girl's birthday very soon. In one month to be exact. My baby turns 3! 3 years old! That means I've been a Mom for 3 years, I've been a "work outside the home" Mom for 2 years and I've been a general disaster for about 4 years...or longer, depending on who you ask ;)

I am in the throes of birthday planning and biology homework - super compatible! I am currently favouring the party planning, trying to avoid the franticness that I felt last year when people started arriving for the party and a good chunk of my decor was not ready...and then never happened. I was flustered, tired and just felt overwhelmed.

This year I HOPE to avoid that, partly by lowering expectations (isn't that a great way to increase satisfaction?) and partly by doing a lot of things ahead of time. I've prepped some lists, I've counted costs and I've bargain shopped as much as possible, and Rainbow Birthday Party 2013 is in motion!

Tonight I decided to take a break from studying and take on a "quick" pinterest craft - painted mason jars. The tutorial seemed pretty simple...but I had already glimpsed a "pinterest fail" version so I knew it wasn't going to be perfectly easy peasy.

Well, here is the pinterest version:

Here is my before and in progress:


Plus the general mess going on in my room:





The pinterest version of this gave the instructions of simply adding paint and swirling it around until it is covered, noting that it may need a few hits with your palm to cover some spots. Right. Just a warning - if you do this craft, perhaps new acrylic paint is better, cause my seemed super thick and just ran down in globs. Awesome. And I hit it with my palm about a hundred times, I'm pretty sure I'll have a bruise tomorrow.

Anywho, I have 2 completed jars that just need to dry and it only took an hour. For a piece of decor that will probably go unnoticed. Oh well, it'll look cute in Arabella's room after the party too...or I'll adopt the pink, purple and orange ones for my room :)  Happy party to me!

Ok, good night all, I need to get to bed and be somewhat rested to celebrate Canada's big ol' birthday tomorrow!

No comments: