Saturday, December 06, 2008

Arrgghhhhhh! Oh the humanity!

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh - hey! Well, it would definitely be more fun to ride in a sleigh and hear jingle bells than to have been a fly on the wall in my workplace these past 2 days! Probably even LESS fun to have been me these past 2 days.

Ever have one of those days, where 3 nasty/unexpected phone calls come - all in a row? And not the kind of call where the issue ends when you hang up? The kinds of issues that you felt were brewing and have now boiled over and made a joyous splash into your working life? Well, that is what my Friday was like. Work has been an interesting experience for me in general - I have had my fair share of job changes and different duties over the years, many of these jobs came with specific challenges that both forced me to grow (and perhaps grow up) and forced me to face things I really didn't want to face. My current job and work environment is very interesting and I dare say it might be the most exciting environment an accountant could work in (unless of course, you are one of those accountants who gets excited over the newest CICA handbook release or tax update).

Lately I have been looking for the exit sign, as certain projects and pressures have come to a head. I am soooo close to resolving a 2 year old problem/project at work (that's right - it was a whole YEAR old before I got the job!!) but I am finding it difficult to "wrap up". It has some pretty significant financial implications that could land me in serious trouble if I made any miscalculations or errors. Of course, in most workplaces (and especially in accounting) mistakes and errors almost always have serious implications. So I am a bit trigger shy to say that it is completed and that the final "posting" is ready.

I now have 1 week left until my boss returns and I was truly hoping to hand him the completed project....that may not happen, but I have at least spent the last 2 Saturdays at work giving it a go.

Anyway, all that venting to say - I can't WAIT for the Christmas holidays!! I am SO taking a week off after Christmas and I cannot wait to get that down time.

Until then....I will continue to show up for the gong show that is currently my workplace and hope that one day I will be caught up and that I will have done things the right way (which is a concern when dealing with both software and statements that no one seems to completely understand...yikes!) - Just a note: I do love the people I work with, they are truly great and are NOT the problem!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there,Lys! I know you're an awesome worker and your boss is VERY LUCKY to have you...