Friday, June 19, 2009

If the dress fits....

...then wear it to work?? The dress being my wedding dress, you know - nothing too special or anything...

Okay, so at work (well, my temporary workplace at regional headquarters) it was National Public Service Week and to celebrate they had a "eat around the (movie) world" potluck day. Each department drew a movie title and then had to bring in food for that movie theme. There were prizes at stake, so not only was there food involved but dress, decor and presentation were all components of the competition.

So, what movie did we get? Why of course - My Big Fat Greek Wedding!! And who happened to still have a wedding dress that fit....well, that would be me. So, I was told that I was the bride and to please bring in my dress for this potluck lunch competition. And what is a bride without a groom? Considering that Finance is mostly staffed with women, there were only 3 guys to choose from. One played the part of my dad (complete with Windex), one played my brother and one played...my groom (strange yes, but it gets better!). My groom just happens to also be my current boss. And yes, the jokes about me trying to "get ahead" by marrying my boss were in abundance. I was not laughing so much, but alas everyone else was having a good time.


So we decorated our area to look like a (cheesy) wedding reception, we had greek music playing, greek food (which we won best food prize for), movie characters and one big fat wedding dress!
I must say it was strange to wear my dress again but it was also familiar in a funny but heartwarming way. I of course was wishing for my true groom, as that dress is really only complete with him standing beside me! I realized that nearly 8 years of marriage have passed by, and that the coming years lay ahead like a swirling tunnel of time that is just coming at me like a freight train. The good thing is, I'm not afraid of the blur, I just hope to catch the memories along the way and remember why I first wore that dress and why I would wear it again any day with my real groom!

3 comments:

susan said...

Your work is CRAZY! But sounds like fun.
The first time you wore that dress was the most important time...8 years, really? It does go fast - wanna borrow my fancy new camera to capture some of it?? :-)
No matter where you wear your dress or if you one day can't fit into it (me!) we all have the memories of that day...you were stunning & my brother cleaned up good! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with Susan - your work IS CRAZY! I can't believe that you actually wore your wedding dress to WORK!?!!? That's soooo funny :) You look BEAUTIFUL though :)

Canadian Kristin said...

Not only do you still FIT into your dress, the beauty of 8 years invested into your marriage radiates beyond any blush your wore when you were the bride!
Congrats on 8 years and that swirling tunnel of time, with all the amazing memories it will bring!!!

Oh... and so would it be wrong to bring up the Big Fat Greek Wedding-with-the-boss during job promo time?!?!? :-)