Monday, June 28, 2010

Is it possible to defile a perogy??

Maybe it is the Manitoba girl in me, or perhaps a learned sense of what goes and does NOT go with food, but I think I just saw a perogy defiled tonight.

Let me explain.

I LOVE perogies, seriously, they are comfort food for me and remind me of days where my Grandma would make tons of perogies and smother them in sour cream and/or "gravy" (and when I say gravy, I mean cream, more cream and perhaps some butter and pepper). It was deliscious, comforting and I pretty much ate until I got sick. Every time.

I have made perogies once, for Brian's birthday, and I may never make them again. It is a serious amount of work and is devoured so quickly! How my Grandma could mass produce them and then just watch us gobble them down, I will never know.

Now I settle for bought perogies, and to make it worse, the Costco box of perogies. I know, I know, it's terrible and not even close to the real thing - but I need convenience!

Tonight we ate perogies for dinner, and Brian's friend Troy was over for dinner too. I put out the perogies, the sour cream and the peas & corn. We prayed for our meal and then.....Troy asked for ketchup. For his perogies. Seriously - KETCHUP?!?! I think my exact response was "sick" (I know, I am so hospitable!).

But really, it hurt me to watch this perogy get dipped in ketchup....I really think that if it was possible to defile a perogy, I witnessed that tragic event this evening.

All I can say is I am glad I didn't serve homemade ones, I could never stand for ketchup to defile a "true" perogy.

1 comment:

susan said...

I'm with you "EW"!!!! How dare he?!