Thursday, July 14, 2011

It's Official....

...I'm.....wait for it......RUNNING A HALF MARATHON. 


Ok, so really I am IN training for a half marathon but I have now officially signed up for one. I filled out the online form, paid my dues, hit send and am now a confirmed participant in THIS




Can you believe it? Actually I can hardly believe it....


After I ran the Sun Run I thought, "These runners are crazy, I don't know why anyone would do this over and over again." And yet, just a few short months later, I have signed myself up for a ridiculous 13 miles. MILES. Miles are so not kilometres. No no, they are much more and way more intimidating. At least for me they are.


Picture this - the half marathon training clinic is having its first meeting, the run distance up on the board is a 6. I walk in and take a look, thinking to myself , "Great, 6 km, easy, I can do this.". Then we start our run (in the rain I might add) and I discover we are running 6 MILES. That is nearly 10 km my friends.


I nearly died.


However, I have completely gone nuts and continued attending training, including the intense Wednesday night workouts which include such things as hill training and a brazilian (and that is NOT the wax treatment, although I would argue they are equal on the pain level). 


Do you know what a brazilian is? It is death on a field. Basically it is a modified brazilian soccer team drill involving short sprints, lunges, sit ups, push ups, strides, butt kicks, high knees, balancing, planks.....and then please run 4 laps around the track. And if you can run "fast" please do 5 laps in the allotted 8 minutes. I proudly completed 4 laps in 9 minutes, having been lapped by at least 6 people. Let's just say I am not in peak condition.


And I thought after those 4 laps we might be done...HA. One more time through the drills please, and then 2 more laps - and let's be faster this time please. 


Did I mention we run from the store to the track? And then we have to run back?


And lately I have been trying to figure out why I am so tired ;)  


BUT despite my whining, it is a really great workout and I am actually getting slightly better at running long distance. I am excited to run my first half marathon in October and if you happen to be in Victoria for Thanksgiving, come downtown and cheer for me as I pant, wheeze and stumble across the finish line :)



No comments: