In the meantime, I am obviously distracting myself from the impending doom by blogging (because I really lack the brain power to think through DNA transcription and translation tonight). Much more fun than memorizing the different RNA ribozymes is....talking about cake!
So, I went a bit wild with the rainbow theme for Arabella's party and was super excited to make a rainbow cake. Seriously. It may have been the highlight of the birthday prep.
Anyway....here is how it all came together:
1. Separate batter, dye like the rainbow
2. Layer the rainbow in order (you know, ROYGBIV) minus an I or a V, not sure whether I achieved either Indigo or Violet
3. Layer 2, go for 3 rainbow spots, as I was concerned that the edge pieces in layer 1 would not get the full spectrum, which would clearly be unacceptable.
4. Make ridiculous amounts of buttercream icing, ice cake, cover with sprinkles (note: floor also got covered in sprinkles)
5. TASTE the RAINBOW :)
I was quite happy with the cake and loved the colours in it! I used the Cake Boss' recipe for vanilla cake and even subbed in some spelt flour and cut some of the oil by using applesauce and it was still great! Next time I will probably sub out even more and see how it works, I am a bit of a hippy but I feel like feeding people something made with white sugar and white flour is like giving them poison. I know, I'm strange.
And basically I got more photos of the cake prep than I did of the party! I am hoping Erika sends me hers so I have some decent shots of my birthday girl!
Ok, well here she is dressed up in her Snow White accessories. Love her!


No comments:
Post a Comment