Saturday, August 06, 2011

10 miles to...

...well, can I just say it was 10 miles to "not heaven"?? 


This morning was a 10 mile run for me, the longest distance that I have attempted to date! My running has been a challenge for me lately, I have hummed and hawed about whether this is a realistic thing for me to do, whether training for a half marathon and going to back to work and being a Mom and doing StampinUp and selling Nowrwex is really a good idea.


Somehow I have convinced myself this is a good idea. Today was a loooooong run, and since I am WAY slower than the other runners, I had a lot of alone time to ponder things through on my 1 hour, 45 minute 10 mile run.


Here are my pros and cons:


Cons (might as well get this out of the way first!):


- Running this much is a total time suck!
- I miss out on part of Saturday morning with my babe :(
- It is really, really hard work
- I feel like I will never be at the running level of most others in the group
- I am often alone as I run




Pros:


- I feel AWESOME when I finish a run
- I would be so happy to finish a half marathon, something I never dreamed I would do!
- Running clears my head, allows me quiet time to think
- I will probably make a friend in the running group at some point....
- It provides me a new mental focus


So what would you do? 


Today was a tough run, I ended up walking the last 10 minutes and kinda wanted to cry from the aching pain. Is it worth it to train my body & mind? What will I do after my race?


I don't know. All I know is that for the time being, running is a great distraction from my mixed feelings about returning to work and it allows me some alone time and head space to try and think things through. 


Is there ever a decision that a mom can make without a creeping in guilt factor??

2 comments:

Connie said...

Alyssa, you're so close to your goal! Oh course you have to make your own decision but I can tell you from experience there are hard runs where you feel like quitting and then there are great days where you feel unstoppable. Take an ice bath to soothe those sore muscles and maybe take a few days off and see how you feel.
Keep your chin up and look how far you've come!

Canadian Kristin said...

Guilt is a tough one. Here's my thought: if running makes you feel good, the time suck probably isn't as bad as you think, if you were home Saturday morning you may not have spent all those moments totally focused on Arabella, you would have done other things or sat and surfed the net... right. As busy as a day is, there are usually quite a few unaccounted for minutes that we could draw from.

Alternately, maybe you could give your half marathon goal a longer time frame.