Nope, did not go the extra mile for anyone else....but I did go the extra mile in my run this week. Well, sort of.
Last Saturday I had a rough 10 mile run. For someone like me, not doing well at something that you are trying your darndest to be good at is really hard. And when it gets painful I really really want to give up, but that little cheerleader/inner slave driver beckons me to take the next step. And so after my run last Saturday I hummed and hawed, I almost didn't go to my Wednesday night run and I was certainly tempted to sleep in this Saturday morning, BUT I did not.
And so I went the extra mile. So to speak.
Yesterday was my 11 mile run. Do you realize how many kilometres that is?? Nearly 18 my friends, 18 KILOMETRES! Did I mention that I barely kept pace with the 55 year old woman and 65 year old man I was running with? Yeah, I gots me some fitness to improve on!
But this run was SO much better than last week. I felt better throughout the run, I had a group to stick with and I felt like I just might be able to go an extra 2 miles when my half marathon does roll around and I will do the full 13 miles.
Did I also mention it was beautiful and sunny nearly all week? Including run day? Yeah, God is awesome.
Thank you to those who have encouraged me to keep going, I think that this really is a good thing for me to work on in this season of my life. It may suck some time, but I think it is worth the investment in my mental health & confidence.
For anyone who thinks they might be a runner but is afraid to start....just do it! (sorry Nike, I know that one is yours!). Those learn to run groups are really great, and they are very gradual in progression. Try it for at least 6 weeks, that's enough to get through the first wall and feel like you can really run!
2 comments:
Yay! You're doing great and of course you're going to be able to run the 13 miles!
I'm glad you got your groove back and had people to run with on Sunday :)
Was that "for anyone who thinks they might be a runner" comment for me??? Did you forget to write SUSAN SANTOS at the end?? :-) I know, I know....inner runner, blah blah...
:-)
You are doing awesome though Lys!! Way to go!
Post a Comment